1.17.2006

Photos of Petrified Peach

I promised in my last post to share some photographs of a petrified peach loaned to me by George. So, without further ado:

From the top, this looks much like an ordinary rock. Flat on one side, but still rather mediocre But take a look at the other side!

Here you can make out the distinct impression left by the peach pit. The discoloration on the left side is not a scooped-out portion of the rock; it is just a different color of stone.

This is a nice view of the basic peach shape. Note the bubbly depression in the top forward portion. Apparently, the peach half was discarded due to rotting, and the rot spread to the outer skin before petrification.

I am holding the peach half here to give you a better idea of the size and overall shape. It is composed of very hard, nonporous rock. However, the outside and the inner portion still show amazing detail when viewed up close.

So what do you think?

In Him,

David S. MacMillan III

6 comments:

Eric said...

Not to be skeptical or anything, but I have found quite a few geodes that look familiar to that. You would almost need to have it chemically tested or something just to be sure. It looks cool, though.

David S. MacMillan III said...

My camera will not focus well enough for a really close shot. However, I can assure you that it is a peach by looking at it myself. A close examination shows that it was cut before it was petrified (not a geode) and also it has the exact symetry of a peach. I will follow your advice though and send the photos to some experts at Answers In Genesis to have them take a look at it.

Anonymous said...

It looks like a peach to me! Cool pictures David!

Anonymous said...

Um, this thing looks for all the world like any number of agate geodes I have seen in my life. People find them and split them down the middle with a band saw, exposing the cavity inside. Sometimes the cavity is lined with quartz, but not always. Are you SURE that this isn't what it is?

Anonymous said...

I agree with both points, it does look like a peach and it needs to be checked more closely. Not only have I seen and handled a few geodes on my own, my wife used to love to shop at a "rock" shop when we were overseas and they had some of the most amazing geodes to look at while she shopped.

Anonymous said...

your mom shows amazing detail when viewed up close.